07 May, 2015

REVIEW: CITY OF LOST SOULS by Cassandra Clare

Title: City of Lost Souls
Author: Cassandra Clare
Series: The Mortal Instruments #5
Genres: YA, Fantasy, Romance
Publisher: Walker Books Ltd
Source: eBook
Pages: 535

Add to GoodReads // Buy on BookDepository

SYNOPSIS: The New York Times bestselling Mortal Instruments continues—and so do the thrills and danger for Jace, Clary, and Simon.

What price is too high to pay, even for love? When Jace and Clary meet again, Clary is horrified to discover that the demon Lilith’s magic has bound her beloved Jace together with her evil brother Sebastian, and that Jace has become a servant of evil. The Clave is out to destroy Sebastian, but there is no way to harm one boy without destroying the other. As Alec, Magnus, Simon, and Isabelle wheedle and bargain with Seelies, demons, and the merciless Iron Sisters to try to save Jace, Clary plays a dangerous game of her own. The price of losing is not just her own life, but Jace’s soul. She’s willing to do anything for Jace, but can she still trust him? Or is he truly lost?

Love. Blood. Betrayal. Revenge. Darkness threatens to claim the Shadowhunters in the harrowing fifth book of the Mortal Instruments series.


I don't know what is it about me and this series. I do not like Mortal Instruments. I really don't. And honestly, I have put this series away after almost every book and said 'No! No more!'. But here I am just finished book number 5. I don't know, I just have this weird relationship with this series, really weird.


Alright so I really really did not like book 4. It was just 90% of the time Clary going over and over how hot is Jace. Just omg please stop. So when you consider book 4 and book 5 there has been a very nice improvement. To be honest, I do not hate the series anymore. Well, hate is not a word. I do not 'don't like' the series anymore. Maybe I just got used to it or I don't really know...I will be reading the last book and finishing it. 

PLUS: I am not a big fan of Clary...but in this book she was actually alright. Since the movie I always imagine her as Lily Collins and well she fits. She is not whining and crying how hot Jace is so well done Clary! I used to always like Isabelle and Alec and in this book I actually started to like Isabelle even more. Something about her is very appealing. And well...my love Magnus! There was this scene with the cat and Simon and Magnus accusing Simon of drinking blood from his cat...just soooo funny! I love Magnus and it's very sad what happens, and no guys Magnus is not going to die!

MINUS: I always hated Jace, I just hate him so so much. But the list of characters I do not like actually got bit longer in this book. The parents of both Clary and Isabelle...so so annoying. And Alec....omg what happened to Alec??? Cassandra Clare completely ruined him is what happened :( Plus, I really do not like side stories, every time they came up I was like 'sooooo boring'! 

I realize I haven't mentioned Simon so far. To be honest, I don't know. He was alright. I liked him before but now...he is just Simon. 

Now, I'm sure you guys understand why I cannot discuss the plot of this book...if you have not read the other books in the series it would completely ruin your reading experience. So all I am going to say is that I actually enjoyed this book's plot. It was much better than before and well...all in all I liked it.

BONUS: I do not know if you guys saw the movie but it was rather put away for bad ratings. And now they are actually making a TV Show SHADOWHUNTERS which as of yesterday has main cast already in. I think they will start filming like next month or so and in January 2016 we will have ourselves a new TV Series based on The Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare! So hop hop off you go, read read read till the show comes out, ya have just about enough time to finish all the books in this crazy but good series! I cannot believe I just said it. Jup...good!






4 comments:

  1. This series is my life but I understand it's not for everyone, after all no book is! Great review nevertheless and I'm looking forward to see more posts :) new follower

    Most recent post on Enchanted by YA: http://enchantedbyya.blogspot.com/2015/05/review-rogue-talon-2-by-julie-kagawa.h

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jup, I have heard many people being in love with this series ;)

      Already following :)

      Delete
  2. Ah, you don't like them? Personally I love the series, but I do understand how we can all have our opinions. Clary and Jace are actually NOT my favourite characters. I think yes, Jace gets a lot of cool lines but he and Clary and just well, the ones the stories center on but the others are so much more interesting. I am not a huge Alec fan, but I am DEFS a Magnus fan <3 And I love Simon and Isabelle as well. Those three <333

    ReplyDelete