21 November, 2015

REVIEW: GIRL OF NIGHTMARES by Kendare Blake

Title: Girl of Nightmares
Author: Kendare Blake
Series: Anna #2
Genres: YA, Paranormal, Fantasy
Publisher: Tor Teen
Source: Kindle Edition (Spanish)
Pages: 267

Add to GoodReads // Buy on BookDepository

SYNOPSIS: It's been months since the ghost of Anna Korlov opened a door to Hell in her basement and disappeared into it, but ghost-hunter Cas Lowood can't move on.

His friends remind him that Anna sacrificed herself so that Cas could live—not walk around half dead. He knows they're right, but in Cas's eyes, no living girl he meets can compare to the dead girl he fell in love with.

Now he's seeing Anna everywhere: sometimes when he's asleep and sometimes in waking nightmares. But something is very wrong...these aren't just daydreams. Anna seems tortured, torn apart in new and ever more gruesome ways every time she appears.

Cas doesn't know what happened to Anna when she disappeared into Hell, but he knows she doesn't deserve whatever is happening to her now. Anna saved Cas more than once, and it's time for him to return the favor.

So you know how I couldn't resist reading Anna Dressed in Blood... well, now you know I couldn't resist reading Girl of Nightmares either despite being a December read as well :') I'll add another book to December or something...
Anyway, I had high hopes for this book! I wanted more Anna and creepiness and action! but what did I get? A confused character and a boring plot. I'm not going to lie, I was disappointed.


THE WORLD: The world is the same as in the previous book except that the last part of the book takes place somewhere in Scotland and somewhere in what people call Hell... or the Limbo or wherever the dead go (the bad ones).

CHARACTERS: The main characters are also the same: Cas, Thomas, Carmel, Anna, Gideon who is Cas' sort-of-mentor, Cas' mom, etc... there is a new character introduced called Jestine who is part of a secret British order (or sect I am not sure) and is involved in Cas' plan to rescue Anna from Hell and unbind her from the Obeahman. Jestine's character is only introduced in the last 30% or so of the book so she has no development and I thought her character was something borderline annoying but likable at the same time, she's weird. Other than her, there are not many other new characters and the ones whose names where introduced were not even important in the end so I won't bother to mention them.

LOVE: Ugh, annoying. Cas spends the whole book thinking about Anna and how he can help her and how much he loves her but cannot help her aaaahhhhhhh there was no action! no excitement! no creepiness! Annoying. It was even cheesier than Anna Dressed in Blood *sigh*

PLUS: I cannot believe I am going to say this but... the end is probably the only plus. It's a killing cliffhanger, like what on Earth? That's how it ends? Seriously? Two books for this? I need a third book!

MINUS: The story was very dragging... it was boring and nothing happened until Cas decided to travel to England which happens after like 70% of the book or so. There were no more creepy ghost stories... there were no drama or emotional moments... nothing... it was just bland. You know what we say in Spanish? Soso (literally "spiceless" although a better translation would be "bland" or "dull"), that's an appropriate description of this book.

OVERALL: 3 stars. I was disappointed, I don't even know what to give this book... I think it's more 2.5 stars but I'll bump it up to 3 because I'm nice. Has anyone read this book? Did you like the ending?



What do you guys think about GIRL OF NIGHTMARES?