21 December, 2015

REVIEW: FRAGMENTS by Dan Wells

Title: Fragments
Author: Dan Wells
Series: Partials Sequence #2
Genres: YA, Dystopian, Science Fiction
Publisher: Balzer + Bray
Source: Library physical copy
Pages: 576

Add to Goodreads 

SYNOPSIS: Author Dan Wells is back with the sequel to the sci-fi blockbuster Partials, which Pittacus Lore called a "thrilling sci-fi adrenaline rush, with one of the most compelling and frightening visions of Earth's future I've seen yet."

After discovering the cure for RM, Kira Walker sets off on a terrifying journey into the ruins of postapocalyptic America and the darkest desires of her heart in order to uncover the means—and a reason—for humanity's survival.

Dan Wells extends his richly imagined, gritty world and introduces new memorable characters in this second installment in the Partials Sequence.
HANNAHCASSIE'S REVIEW
So I read Partials and I loved it! Then I read a novella Isolation and it was alright. Obviously as I am on Partials train I got myself a copy of the second book Fragments and was right into it!


THE WORLD: The world in this book gets expanded! Besides the little island where humans live and the land where Partials live we get to see Chicago and Denver! And I just loved how it was portrait, especially Denver. It was just crazy. I do not want to talk too much about it because I just really do not want to spoil anything but trust me, if something like Partials War happened I would expect the world to be just like in Dan Wells books!

CHARACTERS: Kira is the medic/scientist. She is literary a kickass leader! I mean alright in this book she was a little bit annoying at some points but I still love her, she is fantastic and if I was in her situation I would love to be just like her. And also, for those who want diversity in the books, Kira is Indian girl who is super smart and super bad-ass and yeah I said that already but trust me, there is no end to it! Next we also get to know a little bit better are Samm and Heron. Now Samm...he is such a perfect lover boy. I just loved how he trusted Kira and helped her no matter what. I love Samm completely! Heron was also great most of the book, she is like this evilish sidekick helping the main character. Only thing I did not like about Heron is the end. She proved herself to be so incredibly intelligent and then in the end she does something so straight forward stupid I was more than disappointed. I hope it will get better in the next book. Another character we also get to know better is Marcus. So you know how I did not like him in first book because I thought he is just boring? Well that changed completely. Marcus is absolutely hilarious. I loved his chapters, he is smart and determined and his jokes...loving him right now!

LOVE: There isn't really much of it in this book and that is what I love about it. I mean it is clear that Kira and Samm are super smitten but that is so not the point in this book. Other than last few chapters they are just plain friends and damn I am loving it!

PLUS: You know how I loved the science and the virology in the first book? So in this one we get biotechnology too! And all the secrets, all the Trust things...omg I am loving such kind of books. It is like it was written for me!

MINUS: Only minus I can think about and the reason why I gave this book 4 and not 5 stars was that it was just a little bit slow. I loved all the lands and new cities but the fact that they were traveling most of the book was a little bit disappointing. And oh, I also did not like humans at all. Tho I do think it is a super good representation.
EXTRA: Team Partials!

OVERALL: I know some people complain that this series is a story driven and not characters but seriously how many books there are there where it is all about romance and love triangles and barely any story? Millions! And how many books that have a very strong story with a kick as characters but no useless romance? Few! So go and read this series if you haven't and especially if you are a scientist like Laura and I, you will love it to the bits, I promise!





LAURA'S REVIEW
I don't remember my expectations... I read this 3 years ago oops but I loved Partials so I sure had high expectations and wanted more action.

THE WORLD: We get to travel! Basically we take a field trip from NYC to Chicago and then Denver in order to reveal ParaGen's secrets...

CHARACTERS: Same characters as in Partials. We have Kira and Samm as main protagonists still but Marcus and Heron play a bigger role. In Fragments I augmented my love for Kira and Samm. Kira is still bad*ss and has her goals set, doesn't deviate, doesn't let other stuff get in the way of her goals which I though was awesome. Samm keeps being a sweetheart but also getting a bit more bad*ass, his character is growing and he's learning about humans. Then we have Marcus, who I didn't like in the first book and in this one I still didn't like him exactly but he had good points and his chapters were sometimes funny so he's now in a fine line while Heron... what can I say? Heron appeals to be a stuck up but she's just very protective and honestly she's super smart although she had this slip at the end like HannahCassie said that was just like wow it didn't make sense.
We also have a new mysterious character named Afa! (although a secondary one) who's been isolated for 12 years and living alone in the middle of nowhere. A strange character but sympathetic.

LOVE: Not a focus in this book. We still have some flirting going on but nothing annoying or distracting.

PLUS: More action! We are in the quest for survival so obviously there have to be some fighting and running scenes right? Also, because we are now far away from NYC we don't get to read about all the politics involving humans and partials etc which I appreciated a lot because when books go too deep into politics I fall asleep.

Big reveals! We get sooooo much more information about all the biology and ParaGen's plans omg yes my biologist goddess was pleased!

MINUS: I felt like some chapters were a bit unnecessary and dragged the book... they slowed the pace a bit but then the next chapters would make up for them. It's a long book, you have to be patient.

OVERALL: 4.5 stars. Many second books in trilogies disappoint so much! Fragments was a bit slower than Partials but it wasn't a bad second book at all. Dan did a great job with keeping it up and relating all the events from one book with the ones in the other.



What do you guys think about FRAGMENTS?