15 April, 2016

REVIEW: FALLING KINGDOMS by Morgan Rhodes

Title: Falling Kingdoms
Author: Morgan Rhodes
Series: Falling Kingdoms #1
Genres: YA, Fantasy
Publisher: Razorbill
Source: Physical copy
Pages: 412

// Add to GoodReads //

BLURB: In the three kingdoms of Mytica, magic has long been forgotten. And while hard-won peace has reigned for centuries, a deadly unrest now simmers below the surface.

As the rulers of each kingdom grapple for power, the lives of their subjects are brutally transformed... and four key players, royals and rebels alike, find their fates forever intertwined. Cleo, Jonas, Lucia, and Magnus are caught in a dizzying world of treacherous betrayals, shocking murders, secret alliances, and even unforeseen love.

The only outcome that's certain is that kingdoms will fall. Who will emerge triumphant when all they know has collapsed?

It's the eve of war.... Choose your side.


Princess: Raised in pampered luxury, Cleo must now embark on a rough and treacherous journey into enemy territory in search of magic long thought extinct.

Rebel: Jonas, enraged at injustice, lashes out against the forces of oppression that have kept his country cruelly impoverished. To his shock, he finds himself the leader of a people's revolution centuries in the making.

Sorceress: Lucia, adopted at birth into the royal family, discovers the truth about her past—and the supernatural legacy she is destined to wield.

Heir: Bred for aggression and trained to conquer, firstborn son Magnus begins to realize that the heart can be more lethal than the sword....

 
This book is so hyped and on so many recommendation lists that eventually I just had to read it. So what better time than now?



 
THE WORLD: I am rather sure this book is categorized as a high fantasy world. It is mainly one land Mytica that is now divided into three: cold and under tyranny Limeros, starving Paelsia and sunny and rich Auranos. All lands were once full of magic but by now the magic is gone. There are also watchers who live in this "paradise" and are in search of the magic. In other words, the world is nothing new and just like most high fantasy worlds.

CHARACTERS: So when I started reading this book I hated every single characters. Later, about half done I realized I still hate all of them. And yes, I finished this book still hating. There was just something about these characters...maybe because they were just too stereotypical or just simply not likable. I am not sure but the bottom line I just don't care at this point and I hope it will change later in following books.

Cleo - oh my. I do not think a character can be any more annoying. Or maybe because she is so stupid. But I hate Cleo passionately. I really do. Plus her secret, it was all building to something huge and then...this? Heh? Are you serious???

Theo - so unprofessional. His character was so forced and I am sorry but if high ranking guards are like him then really no wander Auranos went the way it went.

Jonas - another super stupid character. At least he did realize in the end Paelsia's "glory". Blah.

Magnus - maybe most normal character but still. Far far from putting "Magnus" and "nice character" in one sentence.

Lucia - she was promising I have to admit it. But the way her character was developed...just whaaaat? Why would you make her into this stereotype? 

LOVE: Don't even get me started. So boring. The only interesting relationship is maybe between Magnus and Lucia. But even so, very very far from unique. I think every telenovela has explores this type of romance already.

PLUS: None. Hated the book. 

MINUS: The book itself.

OVERALL: I was extremely disappointed by the first book. EXTREMELY! It was just so bad it makes you want to cry. But I will give the second book a chance. Or at least first 50 pages of the second book. Final rating 2.5


 


What did you think of FALLING KINGDOMS?