17 May, 2016

REVIEW: READY PLAYER ONE by Ernest Cline

Title: Ready Player One
Author: Ernest Cline
Series: -
Genres:YA, Science Fiction, Dystopian
Publisher: Random House NY
Source: Audiobook
Pages: 374


// Add to GoodReads // BookDepository // Amazon //

BLURB:
In the year 2044, reality is an ugly place. The only time teenage Wade Watts really feels alive is when he's jacked into the virtual utopia known as the  OASIS. Wade's devoted his life to studying the puzzles hidden within this world's digital confines, puzzles that are based on their creator's obsession with the pop culture of decades past and that promise massive power and fortune to whoever can unlock them. When Wade stumbles upon the first clue, he finds himself beset by players willing to kill to take this ultimate prize. The race is on, and if Wade's going to survive, he'll have to win—and confront the real world he's always been so desperate to escape.

 
I was not sure about this book at first. I know many people really loved it but all gaming thing is so far from my reading zone...but in the end I gave in and listened to it.


 
THE WORLD: So imagine our wold in the future when all natural resources are exhausted and human population is declining. There is not enough food, housing and in general anything for the whole population. The planet is dying and with it humans too. Yeah, sad but it is the setting of this book. The only thing that keeps people happy is this virtual world created by James Halliday where literary everything happens. You create your avatar and yeah...from school to work takes place there.

CHARACTERS: There are three main characters in this book I think. I know I know you will all tell me Parzival is the lead but really despite concentrating on his most of the time we get to know Art3mis and Aech too. Okay so who are these creatures with terrible unpronounceable names? These are random kids that have their avatars in this virtual world and these names are their usernames. So that is how I am going to refer to them. Actually, I am not really sure how should I describe them because they all felt really same to me. Maybe I should talk about what they do instead? So basically, when James Halliday died he announced a contest that whoever finds three eggs and opens three gates gets to own this whole virtual world. For many years people tried and even military organizations formed to find them but nothing. Of course, till one day our characters start finding them. So yeah, that is what this book is about. Just three kids playing old games, being obsessed with everything James Halliday and looking for clues. Frankly, felt like middle grade book.

LOVE: Not important. Parzival likes Art3mis and Art3mis likes Parzival. End of story.

PLUS: It was rather interesting idea at first.

MINUS: Sadly, this interesting idea got boring really fast but unfortunately the book did not end for what felt like eternity. It went just on and on and on...no ending. I thought I will get old before it ends. It surely feels like it took me years to finish it.

OVERALL: I am not sure what should I say about this book. Sure idea is cool but that was just not enough for me. I needed more and sadly never got it. So yeah, it was alright but I won't bother to remember it. 


 


What did you think of READY PLAYER ONE?