31 May, 2016

REVIEW: PRIDE & PREJUDICE by Jane Austen

Title: Pride & Prejudice
Author: Jane Austen
Series: -
Genres: Romance, Classics, Comedy, Drama
Publisher: The Modern Library Classics
Source: Paperback
Pages: 278

BLURB:
First published in 1813, "Pride and Prejudice," Jane Austen's witty comedy of manners - one of the most popular novels of all time - tells the story of Mr and Mrs Bennet's five unmarried daughters after the rich and eligible Mr Bingley and his status-conscious friend, Mr Darcy, have moved into their neighbourhood. "It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife." So begins the novel, that features splendidly civilized sparring between the proud Mr. Darcy and the prejudiced Elizabeth Bennet as they play out their spirited courtship in a series of eighteenth-century drawing-room intrigues.
This brilliant novel is a must-read of classic literature and will delight readers of all ages.

 
Pride & Prejudice came into my life as unexpected as a rainstorm. I went to rent  out a DVD (yes rent out, I'm that old), of some thriller movie and by mistake they rented me the 2005 adaptation of Pride & Prejudice. Only after seeing the movie I became familiar with Jane Austen, with the witty female world she created. I have to tell you guys, that I am softy in heart, I like happy endings and a good love story and if a book has that I will most definitely love it!  So let me introduce to the world Jane Austen!


 
THE WORLD: The world this book takes place is 19th century England. The plot is set in a world filled with manners, etiquette and arranged marriages. What I also enjoyed was learning about the culture and society itself, the playing piano, the curtsies, the balls and dances and I enjoyed the language itself. Actually from the moment you open this book you are just drawn into this world and you cannot get out, trust me, and if you don't believe me ask HannahCassie she's lost somewhere in this wold along side me as well. When you read this or any Jane Austen novels or novellas you immediately become a part of her world, it sucks you in and you don't even notice it but you start to sit up straight, talk in formal grammar and drink lots of tea (that's my ritual actually, drinking lots and lots of tea while reading Austen).

CHARACTERS: The book mostly circles around the life of Elizabeth Bennet. Let's just stop here and pin out all the features why Lizzie Bennet is a wonderful role model: she is smart, she likes to read, she has a sharp tongue, she is gentle and sensitive, she cares for her family and yet says harsh things words to them when need be.Yes, at times she is quite proud and judgemental towards certain characters but I really love that she understands that she judged a book by it's cover too soon, in other words she grows, and you get to see her growth and you grow with her. Also she is the perfect mixture of sarcastic and funny, smart and emotional. Elizabeth Bennet is a wonderful creature, I adore her!


Next let me talk about another fictional boyfriend of mine - Mr.Fitzwillaim Darcy! Let's just say I do blame Mr. Darcy form y high expectations of men, oh damn you and your selfless acts of love! When we meed Mr. Darcy he comes off as an arrogant, proud, super rich man, who thinks country living is only for the poor, and looks down on everyone who find joy in little thinks like dancing! But as the novel goes on you slowly fall in love with this man and you understand how impossibly shy he is. He is the embodiment and proof that you don't need words or constant lovy dovy, over the top PDA to show how you love a person. He makes you understand that simple things, simple gestures or silent admiration and  helping the person you love shows your true feelings so much better.

Despite Lizzie and Mr. Darcy we have a handful of other characters so let's quickly go through them. Firstly, the Bennet family: The parents I have to say were not to my liking. While I did enjoy the bond Elizabeth had with her father, I missed this fatherly wisdom from him, to be honest it seemed like he was too tired of having five daughters. I'm sorry but I did not like Mrs Bennet, the mother. She was ridiculous and so annoying, I understood she wanted to marry off her daughters but the woman had no boundaries. Then we have the eldest daughter Jane, whom I thought was absolutely lovely. She is described as the beauty of the family and also very shy, so shy that in fact she can't even show a little affection to the man she falls in love with Mr. Bingley (Darcy's best friend). But she is a really sweet girl. Mary Bennet remained quite a mystery to me,to be honest. She was quite closed, but she was the only sister who possessed a talent of playing the piano quite well. And then we have the annoying twins as I call them Kitty and Lydia. Oh God they were so annoying, so childish, so rude, seriously I just wanted to slap them across their faces for them to just stop ruining the book for me.

And of course, I have to mention Mr. Wickham, the so called villain in this book. He's not much of a villain as a seducer of women, a gold digger and just a plain player. Few characters in the book fall under his spell. Some are saved from him other are not, but I believe he is a perfect contrast of how shallow people can make love to be.

Of course there are multiple other characters but trust me it would take a lot of time to mention them all and to explain how they are connected to each other, so maybe let's just move on.

LOVE: Love is very interesting in this book. From the very start we have two people in love - Jane and Bingley. They fall in love the moment they see each other and it's so cute, so pure, just....ah feelings! As the book goes on we have Elizabeth's crush on Wickham, and only towards the end of the book we have the love between the two main leads. It's actually very enjoyable to read and see how these two fall in love, how two people who disliked one another in the beginning slowly come to realization that they can't live without each other! And they are so perfect for each other, Elizabeth being chatty happy-go-lucky person, and Darcy the silent, shy person....perfect match.
Another love that I really liked in this book was the sisterly love between Jane and Elizabeth. They were just so cute together, the way they cared for each other and their bond that only sister's can understand. Now I myself don't have a sister, but I would imagine that true sisters are just like Jane and Elizabeth.

PLUS: Characters. This book was made by these characters and the message they carry. I liked how Jane Austen made fun of the society she lived in and the whole - you have get married - thing. Even though, this book ends happily, characters grow and develop, this book still circles around the topic of marriage and/or love and I think it's one of the most important themes in the entire book. Perhaps it's not so common today, since our society sees marriage differently now, but love, I believe that if we just change the word marriage with love the message stays the same - you sometimes find love right in front of you.

MINUS: I have to say that I can't think of anything apart from annoying Kitty and Lydia.

OVERALL: I think that every girl should read Pride & Prejudice. I believe this book can really teach young girls a lesson or two.


 


What did you think of PRIDE & PREJUDICE?