07 June, 2016

REVIEW: ANNA AND THE FRENCH KISS by Stephanie Perkins

Title: Anna and the French Kiss
Author: Stephanie Perkins
Series: Anna and the French Kiss #
Genres: YA, Romance, Contemporary 
Publisher: Usborne Publishing Ltd
Source: Physical copy / Kindle Edition
Pages: 385

Add to GoodReads // Buy on BookDepository

SYNOPSIS: Can Anna find love in the City of Light?

Anna is happy in Atlanta. She has a loyal best friend and a crush on her coworker at the movie theater, who is just starting to return her affection. So she's less than thrilled when her father decides to send her to a boarding school in Paris for her senior year.

But despite not speaking a word of French, Anna meets some cool new people, including the handsome Étienne St. Clair, who quickly becomes her best friend. Unfortunately, he's taken —and Anna might be, too. Will a year of romantic near misses end with the French kiss she's waiting for?

HANNAHCASSIE'S REVIEW
One of my favourite booktubers loved Anna and the French Kiss so much she re-read it at least a few times. Now, I am not a romantic chick-flick type of reader, at least I hate this type of movies apart from LOL and Love, Rosie. But…the book somehow looked real pretty and it was on sale so…


First thing I have to admit, I hate the name of this book. It makes people think it’s another blah. I was actually a little bit hiding the name of this book myself. Second thing, at least my edition cover was super gorgeous and…the material it is made of! Oh my god, it is one of these type of covers on which you do not seen lines after reading! So so good!


THE WORLD: Anna is like us, she lives in San Francisco up till her famous blah novelist father ships her off to Paris for a senior year. So most of the book is based in Paris. Nothing special but it made me re-think going back to Paris again. I was a teen first time I went and I did not like it but well…maybe this time with my boyfriend it would be better. 

CHARACTERS: Anna is the lead in this book. She is super sweet and nerdy and just shy. I loved her so much, it has been really a while…well actually more like never when I loved a main character is this type of book. Next we have a bunch of friends Anna meets at her new boarding school. I loved them all in their own way. Just really well written! And then there comes St. Clair….just that is his surname. Please do not ask me to spell his first name, it is something French I can neither spell nor pronounce. But the thing about St. Clair….nope thank you. I know many readers love him but for me he was just so whinny and playing Anna so much…just not my thing. 

LOVE: I am not a big fan of love in this book. I know all French Kiss should mean a great deal of love and there is but it is not the point in this book. Just so not the point.

PLUS: Despite the terrible title of the book it was a perfect read. I received this book on Monday evening and by midday Tuesday I was done. It was pretty pretty cutie pie story. I am so sure I will be re-reading it in the future. Frankly, it is the type of book you want to just carry around with you so whenever you feel like it you could just open it and read a few chapters. 

MINUS: Other than what I already mentioned about the title I really cannot find anything else wrong with this book. 

EXTRA: If you guys love LOL or Love, Rosie you must read this book! Or if you love this book you must watch LOL and watch/read Love, Rosie! Anna and the French Kiss will make you smile and feel very warm inside. Highly recommended!




LAURA'S REVIEW
I first read this book two years ago and I thought it was cute but to be honest... I didn't remember much. So this was my re-read for All our TBR's group.


THE WORLD: Takes place in Paris, France.

CHARACTERS: Anna Oliphant is the main character and narrator of the story. She is from Atlanta, Georgia but her parents (specially her dad) send her to the School of American in Paris, France (a.k.a SOAP) for her senior year. Apparently her dad is now a famous writer and he wants to appear sophisticated so he sends Anna to study in France. Ugh, Anna's dad is annoying. Anna's best friend is Bridgette Sanderwick, and we don't get much information about her. She seems like a good-enough person. One character who is barely present but is completely adorable is Anna's little brother, Sean "Seany". He reminded me so much of my own little brother at that age! So cute, I wanted to get into the book and pinch those cheeks I'm the typical grandma. Back to SOAP, Anna meets there Étienne St. Clair, the popular and handsome boy. All girls have a crush on him. In the gang there is also Meredith "Mer" Chevalier, who loves football (football = soccer), Rashmi Devi who doesn't have any lines whatsoever... well just a bit but the main thing is that she's dating Josh Wasserstein, who is St. Clair's best friend. We also get a tiny bit of Ellie, St. Clair's girlfriend and Rashmi's ex best friend. She's a year older and now that she goes to Uni she's suddenly too cool for the gang. I hated her.

LOVE: There is not much love... I mean almost all characters are dating someone but just, the romance is so underdeveloped? like ??? I thought all the dating was nonsense to be honest.

PLUS: The book is just so cute. I liked Anna as a character, she's so innocent and nice. Also the story itself is cute, it doesn't have the best romance ever but it was enjoyable to read (most of the times).

MINUS: All the dating drama was just so annoying! Darn, such cowards. This book could have been solved in the very beginning but, of course, then there is no book so you just gotta make characters take stupid decisions and voilà! you have made a mountain out of a molehill.

OVERALL: 4 stars. Perfect read for a cute summer night, well it's just a perfect cute read for a break from studies, work, other books/genres, etc. I must say it is kind of forgettable, at least for me because yeah, cute but didn't have much in the story to stay with me :/




What do you guys think about ANNA and the FRENCH KISS?