23 September, 2016

REVIEW: SEA OF MONSTERS by Rick Riordan

Title: Sea of Monsters
Author: Rick Riordan
Series: Percy Jackson and The Olympians #2
Genres: YA, Fantasy, Mythology
Publisher: Disney Hyperion Books
Source: Audiobook
Pages: 279

// Add to Goodreads // Buy on BookDepository //

BLURB: The heroic son of Poseidon makes an action-packed comeback in the second must-read installment of Rick Riordan's amazing young readers series. Starring Percy Jackson, a "half blood" whose mother is human and whose father is the God of the Sea, Riordan's series combines cliffhanger adventure and Greek mythology lessons that results in true page-turners that get better with each installment. In this episode, The Sea of Monsters, Percy sets out to retrieve the Golden Fleece before his summer camp is destroyed, surpassing the first book's drama and setting the stage for more thrills to come.


So I have read the first Percy Jackson book about a year ago I think and it was okay. I was not sure if I am going to continue with the series but then our library got new books of the series and I though oh well might just give it another try.


THE WORLD: So it is pretty much same as in the first book. The mythological world of Gods exists and because America is the 'strongest' country they reside above it. This book was written back in days when everybody believed American dream so I let it slide. Basically our main characters are demigods - half god half human. Every time a god goes down to early for a little bit of sex a child appears. Interestingly, these kids are dyslexic and slower than normal people. I would not expect this but oh well.

CHARACTERS: Our main character is Percy Jackson and he is a son of Poseidon. Frankly, Percy is pretty much the only one with the brain in my eyes. I was rooting for him in the first book and I was exactly same in the second. Next to Percy we have Annabeth...supposedly know it all brat. Oh I so dislike her, she is more than annoying. But in comparison to other characters she is still okay because boy oh boy how dumb other characters are made. Especially the gods. You would expect somebody who has been around since the creation of the world to has some wisdom...well nope, not in this story. This is also the main reason why I will not be continuing with the series, I just cannot stand this type of dumb characters. I really cannot. Oh and I forgot to mention Groves, the only good thing from this series I am going to miss. But frankly there wasn't much of him in this book so yeah...

LOVE: So obviously Percy like Annabeth but so far that is about how far love in this book goes.

PLUS: Pretty much Groves.

MINUS: This series was not big in Europe and I really see why. It is just so fake and so over the top. Also I really disliked how humans are presented the dumbest creatures ever. All that was ever invented apparently was done by gods and they just let poor dumb humans take credit for it. Even tho gods themselves are pretty much at 12 years old boys level.

OVERALL: So I have this series another shot and nope just no thank you. I just do not see how I could ever enjoy it. I have no care for anything in this book and this book was really even worse than a first one. Not continuing with the series, done for good.


What do you guys think about SEA OF MONSTERS?