06 February, 2017

MONDAY TRAVELS: MARINA by Charles Bukowski



Happy Monday friends!

This Monday we are making one last stop in Unites States and then we'll travel to another country. But as we still need to visit one last great American poet, lets all gather around and enjoy:


MARINA BY CHARLES BUKOWSKI




American writer Charles Bukowski:
Henry Charles Bukowski (August 16, 1920 – March 9, 1994) was a German-born American poet, novelist, and short story writer. His writing was influenced by the social, cultural, and economic ambience of his home city of Los Angeles. His work addresses the ordinary lives of poor Americans, the act of writing, alcohol, relationships with women, and the drudgery of work. Bukowski wrote thousands of poems, hundreds of short stories and six novels, eventually publishing over 60 books.



Poem:

majestic, majic
infinite
my little girl is
sun
on the carpet-
out the door
picking a flower, ha!
an old man,
battle-wrecked,
emerges from his
chair
and she looks at me
but only sees
love,
ha!, and I become
quick with the world
and love right back
just like I was meant
to do.


Thoughts:


Charles Bukowski is one of a kind in my opinion. His view on the world, the idea that nothing makes sense and that a human is simply here to live, live, live and die, and that sometimes the life isn't really a good one but you still have to live it and then die is just fascinating to me.

In all honesty, I don't always agree with his poems and some of them might be rather harsh and descriptive, or very triggering. I do admit, I like poetry being romantic and dreamy but sometimes it's good to have a reality check isn't it? :D

I chose this particular poem of Bukowski, for two reasons: 1. I didn't want to share one of his triggering poems just because his writing style, believe me, is not for everyone, and if you want to check his other works you can easily find them online. 2. I think this poems shows that despite how deeply a person is angry, or depressed or just has lost the will to live or carry one, there is always one thing that always brings joy. In Bukowski's case it's Marina, his daughter.

If you read the poem you clearly see that he is in pain and in complete loss and confusion but his little baby girl, the little human he created gives him more love and peace than anyone else ever could.

And all you need is one smile!

I wish that despite everything horrible going on it the world or your own personal space, that we would always have our own - Marina :)

See you next Monday!