21 May, 2017

REVIEW: THE VAMPIRE ARMAND by Anne Rice


Title: The Vampire Armand
Author: Anne Rice
Series: Vampire Chronicles #6
Genres: Paranormal, Classics, Gothic
Publisher: Mass Market Paperback
Release: 2000
Source: Audiobook
Pages: 457

// Goodreads // BookDepository // Amazon //

BLURB:
Armand until now has played a small role in the Vampire Chronicles. Here he assumes center stage, relating his five hundred years of life to fledgling vampire David Talbot, who plays amanuensis to Armand as he did to Lestat ... It's not just the epic plot but Rice's voluptuary worldview that's the main attraction ... Elegant narrative has always been her hallmark ... Rice is equally effective in showing how Armand eventually loses his religion and becomes "the vagabond angel child of Satan," living under Paris cemeteries and foundling the Grand Guignol-ish Theatre des Vampires. In the twentieth century, a rehabilitated Armand regains faith but falls in love with two children who save his life. By the conclusion of Armand, the pupil has become the mentor.



EXPECTATIONS: After dnfing the previous book of Vampire Chronicles I felt a bit weary towards continuing with the series. Frankly I did really like that much book 4 as well and a friend of mine has said this one is not best either...but then I got an audiobook of it and decided that I might just give it a try after all.

THE WORLD: The Vampire Chronicles world is very similar to hours except for the addition of vampires. However, vampires in this series are very classical gothic style and the existential issues they face...well it is in no way a young adult book. Anyways, there is a lot of the past given it is a story of how Armand came to be so we travel back in time for a big part of the book. But eventually we start moving forward at a fast pace, it is important that one reads the series in correct order because Armands reflects a lot on the previous books. Eventually of course we read more modern times, however opposite to Lestat journey we do not really go to New Orleans and instead are more set in Europe. 

CHARACTERS: As I mentioned above there is reflection on previous books and that means most characters of previous book are at least mentioned. However, the ones that play the biggest role I think are Marius and Armand himself. There is a presence of Lestat as well as Pandora and Santiago, but they are more of a passing by characters than somebody we follow for their story. Later we also meet some mortals important to Armand but again I don't think they play such a big role in this book than let's say Marius, therefore I will not go in detail about them. But let's talk about Armand himself. I think it is no secret that up till now I was not a big lover of him, We have met them before in Lestat books and just...there is just something about Armand that I dislike. That unfortunately did not change in this book either. There is just that something I cannot even put my finger on, I just find him boring and rather arrogant. Marius and David, they always have that true knowledge and experience feeling about them but Armand just feels like a spoiled boy to me. However, talking about Marius...so I really liked him up till now, I dare even say he and Pandora are my favorite. But in this book, having in mind that Marius is Armand's maker...I don't know. I have seen a different side of him and I do not particularly like it. It was kinda of a I know it all because I am so old and have experienced so much...not arrogant but in a way sorta cannot be bothered with anything anymore. 

ROMANCE: There is love in this book for sure, Anne Rice style. But it is also a little confusing because I am not used to anymore so much to Anne's everybody loves everybody thing, it's more of a love that is important and not who.

GOOD: I have been reading Vampire Chronicles since teenage years and it is always nice to go back to that gothic world I am so familiar with. Also, I think this book was easiest to read from all the series I have read so far. 

BAD: I believe this is still the period when Anne Rice was very religious and into her Lord studies. It very much reflects in her books and in her vampires with their existential problems and I really do not like it. However it was not as bad as in the previous book which I dnfed for this reason. 

OVERALL: If you are a fan of gothic literature or true vampires I would really recommend it. It is not necessary the best book of the series but you cannot really skip it, what happens here matters. And I personally will be of course continuing with the series because from what I have heard it will now get better and better!

What do you think about THE VAMPIRE ARMAND?