29 June, 2017

REVIEW: LITTLE WOMEN by Louisa May Alcott


Title: Little Women
Author: Louisa May Alcott
Series: Little Women #1
Genres: Historical fiction, romance
Publisher: Signet Classics
Release: April 6th 2004
Source: Paperback
Pages: 449

// Goodreads /

BLURB:
Following the lives of four sisters on a journey out of adolescence, Louisa May Alcott's Little Women explores the difficulties associated with gender roles in a Post-Civil War America.


EXPECTATIONS: I have actually seen the movie first, but I always wanted to read this one. So I got a copy of this book on my birthday from HannahCassie. The copy is so beautiful that I want to cry guys! It’s so beautiful! So going into it I kind of knew how it will all turn out.

THE WORLD: The plot takes place in US during and after The Civil War. We have a family that struggles to survive and to maintain their lives as they were prior to the war. It’s basically our normal world in the past that we know off from books and shows.

CHARACTERS: The plot circles around four March sisters. Meg the eldest of the sisters and she reminded me of the mom figure in the book. She really was holding onto the entire ‘perfect women’ thing and pushed her sisters sometimes even to the meanest sides. I didn’t like that really. But she was a good character. I can’t say that I didn’t like her.

Josephine ‘Jo’ the second eldest, to my mind was the main character in this book. She likes to write, is a tomboy, and is far away from all the lady like things. I liked Jo in all honesty, she was a good developed character that I could see a lot of myself in, I related to her. But I have to admit at times she did get annoying. Always having to be right, being kind of rude to Laurie and her family, but in general I did like her.

Beth broke my heart in this book. I liked her so much, she was like the calm, peaceful, tender thing that saw only good in life. She was so shy and cute and she broke my heart! I won't go into details to avoid spoilers. The last sister is Amy, the youngest and the most prettiest. She loves art and wants to be an artist - painter. I actually read somewhere that she is the least likable character in the book and I kind of understand what they mean. At the beginning to me she was just spoiled little brat that I couldn't stand. She was so annoying, ahrrrr!!! I mean she does a really horrible thing to Jo in the book, for basically no reason. Siblings fight, especially when you have a younger sibling ( I do) you understand that siblings fight, we fight, we say thing we don't mean. I also didn't want to take my brother with my friends cause then I would have to look after him. The with Jo and Amy, but what Amy did in revenge to Jo was just unforgivable. I mean as siblings of course in time you kind of forgive and forget, but to me as reader Amy became a very unlikable character instantly. I do, however have to say that towards the end, Amy developed into a good character. I really did enjoy her and maybe she just needed to grow up.

I really liked Laurie, the boy next door. He was sweet and nice and caring. I like the both parents, the mom especially. I'm not sure if I liked Friedrich Bhaer. I dunno to me he just wasn't as applying as Laurie was.

ROMANCE: It is very clear in the book that Laurie has feeling for Jo, but she sees him as a friend. There is romance between Jo and Bhaer, Laurie and Amy as well. And in all honesty, I kind of like the Laurie and Amy romance. It was out of the blue but I enjoyed it.

GOOD: Everything. This book is really good.

BAD: None.

OVERALL: To my mind, everyone should read this book. It's a much for sure!


What do you think about LITTLE WOMEN?

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment