11 August, 2017

REVIEW: JANE EYRE by Charlotte Brontë


Title: Jane Eyre
Author: Charlotte Brontë
Series: -
Genres: Classics
Publisher: Penguin
Release: December 16th, 2010
Source: Paperback
Pages: 507

// Goodreads /

BLURB:

Orphaned into the household of her Aunt Reed at Gateshead and subject to the cruel regime at Lowood charity school, Jane Eyre nonetheless emerges unbroken in spirit and integrity. She takes up the post of governess at Thornfield, falls in love with Mr. Rochester, and discovers the impediment to their lawful marriage in a story that transcends melodrama to portray a woman's passionate search for a wider and richer life than Victorian society traditionally allowed.

With a heroine full of yearning, the dangerous secrets she encounters, and the choices she finally makes, Charlotte Bronte's innovative and enduring romantic novel continues to engage and provoke readers.



EXPECTATIONS: I did know what this book was about. I remember I saw an adaptation of it as a child, and loved the movie. I did enjoy studying this book in depth in University and I even wrote a semester paper on it as well. I compared how the relationship between two leads was described in the novel and the newest adaptation. I looked into the wording of the novel, the setting, and in the movie I analyzed how the scenes were shot.

THE WORLD: The plot takes place in Victorian England, so the world in this book is rather cold. I don’t know usually I like the Victorial period in books, but this book had this feeling of coldness. Not that it was a cold book, but that it must have been cold in the time of this plot.

CHARACTERS: Out main protagonist is the young Jane Eyre. She is of a good family, but after everyone close to her dies, her aunt basically abuses her and sends her away to live how she pleases. Jane takes a governess position for a wealthy man, to teach his ward. Jane is Plain Jane, sorry wanted to say that! No actually Jane is very well educated, she has a strong mind and a temper and at the moment in her life knows how not to let anyone put her down. She has great moral and sense of justice! I really liked Jane. She didn’t cry. She wasn’t the victim.

Another important character in this book is Edward Rochester, the man whom Jane works for. He is absent for a while in the book and is only spoken off, but he is a man with a strong character, he’s rich and still unmarried, he has a little girl who he rising, but it’s never quite clear in the book if he is the father or not. To most extend I did like Rochester. He had some demons himself, by far he was not best guy forever, but he had character development, and kindness in him which I really liked. I also liked the River family, they were very nice. I also loved Adele, the little sunshine!

ROMANCE: Jane and Rochester. But it’s not your typical love story and that I really appreciated!

GOOD: I enjoy that these books teach readers. They are not just a story I read, but it’s a lesson I learned with the characters.

BAD: To my taste it was a little slow.

OVERALL: I would recommend reading it to anyone! It’s a good book, and you can learn a great deal from it!


What do you think about JANE EYRE?


0 comments:

Post a Comment