24 September, 2017

REVIEW: THE STRANGE CASE OF Dr.JEKYLL AND MR.HYDE by Robert Louis Stevenson

Title: The Strange Case of Dr.Jekyll and Mr.Hyde
Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Series: -
Genres: Classics, Horror
Publisher: Signet Classics
Release: September 2nd, 2003
Source: Paperback
Pages: 144

Goodreads //

BLURB: In this harrowing tale of good and evil, the mild-mannered Dr. Jekyll develops a potion that unleashes his secret, inner persona—the loathsome, twisted Mr. Hyde.

EXPECTATIONS: I have known about this book for a very long long time, and I love the movie with Julia Roberts that is kind of an interpretation of this book. So I knew something about this story, and also of course Hulk being inspired by this story as well.

THE WORLD: So the world in the book is the ordinary late Victorian London, where everything is very bloomy, dark, and fogy and seems wet and cold!  

CHARACTERS: So the two main characters in mind are Mr. Utterson, a lawyer that lives in London. He is respected and well-mannered and I liked him. We also have another character Enfield, who to me seemed a little gossip girl in all honesty. Anyway, it was weird but these two characters seemed more of the focus of the book than Dr. Henry Jekyll or Edward Hyde. Of course we do get to meet them both of them in a way, but it’s very difficult to really understand their characters. The only differentiation is that Dr. Jekyll is good and Mr. Hyde is a horrible person, he jumps on little girls, pays them off, beats people and even kills them. He is out of control and kind of embodies every horrible thing in humanity.

ROMANCE: No romance in this book.

GOOD:  I liked the story, I could see the number of phrases used, and I even Googled that this book inspired all the potions to be green and stuff. The las chapters were amazing! Simply beautiful! I am a sucker for letters and confessions in the letters and this was just beautiful!

BAD: Keep in mind that the majority of things that happened are being told to us. The novel focuses more on the telling rather than showing. I was very disappointed actually, that I didn’t get to read anything from the perspective of Dr.Jekyll or Hyde, it kind of created this wall between us.


OVERALL: Overall, I liked it. It was short, it was a fast read, and I think people should read it, just to know the story.


What do you think about THE STRANGE CASE OF DR.JEKYLL AND MR.HYDE?

0 comments:

Post a Comment