17 September, 2017

REVIEW: STRAY by Rachel Vincent


Title: Stray
Author: Rachel Vincent
Series: Shifters #1
Genres: Paranormal, Urban Fantasy
Publisher: Mira Books
Release: 2007
Source:  Audiobook/Paperback
Pages: 618

// Goodreads // BookDepository // Amazon //

BLURB:
There are only eight breeding female werecats left...

And I'm one of them.

I look like an all-American grad student. But I am a werecat, a shape-shifter, and I live in two worlds.

Despite reservations from my family and my Pride, I escaped the pressure to continue my species and carved out a normal life for myself. Until the night a Stray attacked.

I'd been warned about Strays — werecats without a Pride, constantly on the lookout for someone like me: attractive, female, and fertile. I fought him off, but then learned two of my fellow tabbies had disappeared.

This brush with danger was all my Pride needed to summon me back... for my own protection. Yeah, right. But I'm no meek kitty. I'll take on whatever — and whoever — I have to in order to find my friends. Watch out, Strays — 'cause I got claws, and I'm not afraid to use them...

EXPECTATIONS: I first heard of this book on booktube back in the days when I followed a lot of popular booktubers that did not necessary fit my taste in books. Later I went back to this book and decided that actually I might enjoy it after all, I do love me some paranormal.

THE WORLD: Let me just say that the world kinda reminded me of the one in Chilcagoland Vampires. Basically we have this ordinary outside and then if you dig deeper you find these werecats and their weird families and laws and what not. Yes, this book is about shapshifting werecats. Also there are only eleven females left so pretty much if you want to keep the werecats a thing in the future you better keep these females happy and alive. 

CHARACTERS: Our main character is called Faythe and she is this rebel girl who does not want to stay in the family and instead goes off to college and just out of the pride as it is the only thing that she considers to be freedom. However, as females start to get killed she must come back for safety. Basically, Faythe is this typical bad ass female who rebels against everybody and who is supposed to be this strong female lead. Well not really. For me she just felt reckless and ready to do anything that makes her father angry. I mean don't get me wrong, I don't find her annoying or had any feelings against her characters...I just don't think she is a strong exemplary female that author wants her to be. Then there is Marc. Now where Faythe was born into a pride sorta like a clan, Marc was a stray aka outsider. Normally outsiders are looked down on and even hunted but Faythe's father actually took Marc in when he was younger and raised him as equal. Marc is also obsessively in love with Faythe and want to marry her. Now....let me just say that I freaking love Marc. I know he is this very macho werecat and all but damn, there is just something about him that is very very sexy. I would also totally throw my clothes off whenever he enters the room.

ROMANCE: I actually really liked it because it is not traditional. Yes Marc is crazy about Faythe and she kinda considers him as teenager years fun. But the way it all sorts out, I freaking loved him. Just super hot sexy romance!

GOOD: I kinda liked everything about this book. Even the things that I would not normally enjoy I really liked in this case. I think it is because of the author, the way Rachel Vincent puts it all together...amazing. 

BAD: As a feminist I cannot just let the macho thing slide. I did enjoyed it but I think I did it by also knowing that in real life I would not like it. So even tho it did work really well in this book and I definitely would not take it away because damn Marc hooooot, just be warned that it exists and it is strong. 

OVERALL: I would give this book five starts simply as of how much I enjoyed it. But again this 5 stars would not be equal to Charlaine Harris or Victoria Schwab type of 5 stars...so I will give it 4 stars instead. But still, really loved it and highly recommend if you love sexy and hot urban fantasy. 

What do you think about STRAY?

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment