10 November, 2017

REVIEW: ISLA AND HAPPILY EVER AFTER by Stephanie Perkins


Title: Isla and Happily Ever After
Author: Stephanie Perkins
Series: Anna and the French Kiss #3
Genres: YA, Contemporary, Romance
Publisher: Dutton
Release: 2014
Source: Audiobook
Pages: 339

// Goodreads // BookDepository // Amazon //

BLURB:
Hopeless romantic Isla has had a crush on introspective cartoonist Josh since their first year at the School of America in Paris. And after a chance encounter in Manhattan over the summer, romance might be closer than Isla imagined. But as they begin their senior year back in France, Isla and Josh are forced to confront the challenges every young couple must face, including family drama, uncertainty about their college futures, and the very real possibility of being apart.

Featuring cameos from fan-favorites Anna, Étienne, Lola, and Cricket, this sweet and sexy story of true love—set against the stunning backdrops of New York City, Paris, and Barcelona—is a swoonworthy conclusion to Stephanie Perkins’s beloved series.



EXPECTATIONS: After the horrible fiasco Lola and the Boy Next door was, I was really worried about going into the final book of the series. I loved Anna and the French Kiss when I read it ages ago but Lola really gave me bouts about contemporary romance books and if it is really something I want to read. I know not all books are like Lola but I just really hated it and this seems to be often case with contemporary romance so yeah...let's see.

THE WORLD: We are back to Paris, same school Anna attended in the first book. Unfortunately there is very little Paris in this book. Somehow in Anna and the French Kiss it was all about Paris nights and boarding school which I think is one of my fav topic of contemporary romance but nope, not the case here. If it wasn't states that we are in Paris you would barely notice. Also half of the book we are back in States which makes it even worse. 

CHARACTERS: Isla and Josh seems to be the couple of interest in this book. I do not remember if Isla was mentioned in the first book but Josh is the same Josh we know as St Clair's best friend and Roshni's boyfriend. Of course both St. Clair and Roshni are gone as they were older than Josh and Isla. Anyways, let's talk Isla. She is an opposite of Lola I think and much closer to Anna. She is a top student with a clean record and a low number of friends. Tho her best friend is amazing I think and what Isla did when one her friends said Isla should stop hanging out with him so much was really nice. I respect Isla for that. I mean sure when romance hits the town best friend is forgotten but ain't that the case in real life when you are a teen too? I don't know about you but I have done it and it has been done to me. The hormones people, hormones. At some point Isla starts to be a bit too much for my taste, she gets totally obsessed and becomes extremely irrational. I am not saying this is not realistic, I think it is very realistic and maybe that is what made me dislike it so much. We know when teens fall in love nothing else exists. They drop chances, make decisions based on their other half like it's for life and unfortunately many of them end up apart and with missed opportunities. This is the case here but what I did not like was that it wasn't addressed as a bad thing. I think the problem is that everybody says oh teens be teens, but not going to best university just because your boyfriend doesn't want or skipping classes and ruining your record...this is for life. So teens be teens but when that teen ends up broke and unemployed it will not be just teens be teens anymore. Maybe I am just too serious for this book frankly. I don't find it cute when I know the consequences. Because yeah...Isla does not get into the top schools she was aiming for, actually none of them. 

ROMANCE: There is some really weird stuff going on. I mean yeah Isla and Josh is the couple of interest and blah blah but the way Josh expresses his feelings sometimes...that was just wow...the nude pictures of his ex girlfriend and their first time sex sent as a gift to Isla. That is some really messed up stuff even if you are an artist. 

GOOD: I think this book was way better than Lola and the Boy Next door simply because of the main character. I did not care for Josh much, I found him kinda weird in a bad way sometimes but Isla was okay. You do want to slap her sometimes but majority of time it's parents I want to slap. 

BAD: There is just something weird about this book. The way Isla abandons herself completely just to be with Josh or the way Josh acts...it's weird but I cannot put it in words what exactly is so weird in this book. 

OVERALL: I think I will consider Anna and the French Kiss a standalone. I mean Isla was alright but it was not more than 3 stars for me and Lola was just horrible so yeah, if you read Anna and the French Kiss and loved it do not go on. It will ruin the experience. 

What do you think about ISLA AND HAPPILY EVER AFTER?

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment