03 November, 2017

REVIEW: LOLA AND THE BOY NEXT DOOR by Stephanie Perkins


Title: Lola and the boy next door
Author: Stephanie Perkins
Series: Anna and the french kiss #2
Genres: YA, Contemporary, Romance
Publisher: Usborne Publishing
Release: 2014
Source: Audiobook
Pages: 384

// Goodreads // BookDepository // Amazon //

BLURB:
Budding designer Lola Nolan doesn't believe in fashion... she believes in costume. The more expressive the outfit – the more sparkly, more wild – the better. And life is pretty close to perfect for Lola, especially with her hot rocker boyfriend.

That is, until the Bell twins, Calliope and Cricket return to the neighbourhood and unearth a past of hurt that Lola thought was long buried. So when talented inventor Cricket steps out from his twin sister's shadow and back into Lola's life, she must finally face up to a lifetime of feelings for the boy next door. Could the boy from Lola's past be the love of her future?

Fall in love with the international bestseller from queen of young adult fiction, Stephanie Perkins.



EXPECTATIONS: I really really adored Anna the French Kiss, tho given I have read it in the beginning of my professional reader career lol.

THE WORLD: Just like ours except that in this book we are back to States. We focus on a small area of the town, pretty much a bubble world of a girl named Lola. We also meet Anna and her boyfriend from the first book but they are a sorta friend/tool figure in this book unfortunately. 

CHARACTERS: So as I already mentioned our main character is called Lola, tho it is a nickname but I cannot remember her full name. Basically she is this spoiled little brat of a two dads family. I did find it really cool that the family was not mommy and daddy style but unfortunately that was one of a very few things I liked in this book. Lola for instance is a horrible person and really pain in the a** character. She is this I wanna be special girls with a rebellious act going on because you know what a high school teenager without a bad boy by her side? Yeah makes me roll my eyes too. The worst is that Lola really does not care about her boyfriend, it's like new Rory and her boyfriend apparently she even forgot existed. Really really not cool. And then there is cheating and all...ah just hate these kind of characters. Cricket is a boy in this book because what romance contemporary without a shy and overthinking boy, right? I am being sarcastic here of course. I was not a fan of St Clair but Cricket is even worse. And what kind of name is Cricket???

ROMANCE: First of all there is a big dose of cheating in this book which I think is very not okay. I don't care if it's with a one true love, break up with a current other half and go on to your one true love. Do not cheat, this is not acceptable and made me really angry. On top of that there is jealousy from the guy that is cheated on and endless lies...like this whole romance is very horrible in this book and it never gets reflected on as such. 

GOOD: As in Anna and the French kiss Perkins has pretty cool side characters and the one that got under my radar was Calliope. She is this ice skating prodigy who gets too overwhelmed under all the Olympics stress but at the same time is probably the sanest person in whole book. She sees Lola for what she is at least for the majority of the book. 

BAD: Cheating, dumb and annoying characters. I get that this book is about teenagers and not all teenagers think further then themselves but this book had some serious case of selfish teens. 

OVERALL: Really really did not enjoy it. I heard Lola and the Boy Next Door is horrible but I didn't expect it to be this horrible. I wish Anna and the French Kiss was a standalone. I would not recommend this to even contemporary romance fans because trust me you do not want to waste your time on this, better reread Anna and the French Kiss. 

What do you think about LOLA AND THE BOY NEXT DOOR?

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment